Now, admittedly these wraps do take a little more time to make than your average. A teeny bit more prep, BUT it’s all really simple stuff and 100% worth it.
How to make Crispy Chicken Wraps (quick summary)
- Add paprika, oregano, onion & garlic powder, s&p to a small pot.
- 3 bowls: flour, egg, breadcrumbs. Split the spices among flour and breadcrumbs.
- Coat chicken breast in flour then egg then breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry in veg oil.
- Place cheese over top to rest and melt.
Crispy Chicken Wraps
Chicken coated in a Southern Fried Crispy Breadcrumb, stuffed in a wrap with the most delicious fillings imaginable. Warning – these are very big & filling!
Servings (click & slide): 4
Cost per serving: £3 / $4
12″ Skillet & Tongs (for flipping chicken)
3 Large Bowls
1 Small Bowl (for spice mix)
Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Aluminium Foil (optional)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 Chicken Breasts (brought to room temp)
- 1 cup / 250ml Vegetable Oil (see notes)
- 3/4 cup / 45g Panko Breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1/2 cup / 65g Flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp each: Oregano, Salt
- 1/2 tsp each: Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper (or to spice preference)
- 1/4 tsp each: Onion Powder, Black Pepper
- 4 large Flour Tortilla Wraps
- 8 single rashers of Streaky Bacon, cooked to crispiness preference
- 4 slices of Cheese (see notes)
- 4 small Tomatoes, sliced
- 4 tbsp Sweet Chilli Mayo
- 1 large Onion, sliced into strips
- 1 small Romaine Lettuce
Line up 3 bowls: First with 1/2cup/65g flour, the second with 1 beaten egg and 2 tbsp milk, the final with 3/4cup/45g Panko breadcrumbs.
In a small bowl, combine 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt and oregano, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and cayenne pepper (or to taste) and 1/4 tsp onion powder and black pepper. Pour half in the flour and the other half in the breadcrumbs. Stir with a fork to combine.
Butterfly 2 chicken breasts right through to make 4 even sized breasts. One by one coat in the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, ensuring you fully coat at each stage (especially the last).
Heat up 1 cup of vegetable oil in a 12″ skillet until a breadcrumb rapidly sizzles (medium heat for minimum of 5mins). Use tongs to carefully place the breasts in the oil. Fry for 4-5mins each side or until golden brown, crispy and cooked through the centre. Place to one side and place over cheese slices to melt slightly. Slice into strips when ready.
Wraps & Fried Onions
Toss your onions slices in the leftovers flour, shake off excess, then place in the hot oil leftover from the chicken. Fry until golden and crispy, tossing occasionally.
Stack in the centre of your tortilla wrap: 1 tbsp sweet chilli mayo, 1 romaine lettuce leaf, 4 slices of tomato, 2 rashers of bacon, crispy chicken, crispy onions.
Fold up the bottom, then tightly roll into a wrap. If they seem slightly loose just wrap foil round the bottom to keep it all intact.